By Mary Joie Alinas, Corporate Communications and Marketing Senior Executive,
Thome Ship Management Pte Ltd – ROHQ
Thome Group launches its 3rd Annual Seafarers’ Photo Competition with a theme of “Thome At Work” to give our seafarers a chance to capture, compete and share with us the nature of work and life of a Seafarer onboard in a creative way. As part of the competition’s objective to widen possibilities to have a glance and appreciate the hard work and passion of our dear seafarers, the grand winner will be receiving a Grand Prize of Sony Alpha A6000 mirrorless camera by just simply sending his/ her entry.
See mechanics below for more information:
Deadline date of the contest:
Deadline of submission of entries: August 30, 2019.
Who may enter the contest?
The photography contest is exclusive for seafarers who are currently under the Thome Group’s management.
- Photo in JPEG format – 1 photo is equivalent to 1 entry
- Caption – The caption must indicate the place where the image was taken and must have an accurate description of what the photo is about. The caption should be no more than 100 words.
- Information about the participant:
- Vessel you’re working with (if onboard)
- If you are on vacation/ currently on leave, please identify what vessel you were on when you took the photo.
How to submit your entries?
There are 3 ways to do this:
Option 1: Email your photos and details at firstname.lastname@example.org
Option 2: Using Facebook Messenger, send a direct message with the photo and details to Thome Group’s Facebook Page
Option 3: Using WeChat, Viber and WhatsApp, send your photos and details at (PH)+63 9209813699
What you should try to capture in your photograph:
Photos should capture the essence of life at sea and must highlight seafarers performing their work.
The photography concept may feature, but is not limited to, the following:
- Celebrations Onboard
- Safety Drills and Practices
- Waste Management
- Thome Group Core Values – ExCITES
- Creative shots
Terms and Conditions
- Photos should be in a JPEG format at least 200KB. DO NOT insert the photos in a word document or PDF.
- Photographs must have been recently shot (within 2019).
- For a photo in which a person is recognizable, the photographer is responsible for securing permission from that person.
- Seafarers in the photo must be wearing a proper and complete PPE / Uniform.
- The following photographs will be disqualified:
- Photographs that are digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered for creative purposes. Altered images refer to photographs manipulated and applied with special effects (colorizing, toning, collage, photo composites, HDR, etc.). However, minor adjustments, including sharpening, contrast and slight color adjustment or the digital equivalents, are acceptable.
- Photographs that have been submitted to or won any other contests or have been published in print or online (e.g. posted in social media) will not be accepted.
- Photos that violate another person’s rights, including but not limited to, copyright.
- Photos which are highly immoral, obscene and/or in violation of public morals and/or public policy.
- Photos that violate general company policies.
- Photos uploaded publicly in Facebook without any consent from Thome will be disqualified.
Always take reasonable care to ensure that you do not endanger yourselves or anyone else when taking a photo or video.
Safety Tips when Taking Photos
- Do not use the camera/phone in environments that could cause you harm. For example, if flammable gas is nearby, do not use a camera or phone.
- If you are taking photos on deck, make sure to get permission from the Master and that you comply with all the above conditions.
- Try to avoid walking while looking through the camera’s viewfinder or staring on the image on the LCD. If you need to move while shooting photos, move the camera away from your eyes while you walk and then begin reusing the camera once you arrive at your new location.
- Always check where you’re standing and what is behind you to avoid any accidents, trips or falls.
1. Relevance to the theme (how well the photo interprets the theme): 25%
2. Creativity (How the photographer showed his/her creativity. How the subject matter is pictured in a unique and interesting way): 25%
3. Technique (use of photographic skill e.g. whether the photo showed balance in light, focus, depth of field, etc.): 25%
4. Overall impact (whether the photo was able to grab and hold the viewers’ attention. Is there a “wow” factor): 25%
Screening of Entries/Photographs
• Entries shall be judged by a panel composed of the Thome Group Communications and Marketing Team and Thome Group Senior Management.
• Decision of the judges is considered final and unappealable.
Prizes and Incentives:
- Grand Prize: Sony Alpha A6000 Mirrorless Camera
- Runners-up: Thome Limited Edition Merchandise (Jacket or Cap)
Please take note:
- All photos submitted shall become the property of the Thome Group.
- By joining the contest, the entrant is considered to have granted the Thome Group permission or license to use the photos, along with the names of the photographers, for various publications, marketing collaterals and for other purposes.
For more information about the Photo Competition, please email : email@example.com